|(29 intermediate revisions by 6 users not shown)|
We strive to make DLF events and initiatives as welcoming and accessible as possible. Since the 2016 DLF Forum, our Forum Planning Committees have included a sub-committee on inclusivity issues. The work of the Inclusivity Committee has been so important to us, and has made a significant impact to the experiences of our attendees. To provide guidance for DLF staff and for the community year-round, we are creating a new, standing DLF Committee for Equity and Inclusion.
DLF and and , , and for and year-round, a , for and .
== Background ==
Our 2016- 2018 Forum Inclusivity Committees were made up of volunteers who have thoughtfully and collaboratively implemented initiatives, including:
* Expanding and updating DLF’s Code of Conduct
* Reviewing the conference registration form to ensure that registrants have the opportunity to provide us with accommodation requests, preferred pronouns, dietary restrictions, etc.
* Serving in intentional “connector” roles to our many other Forum planning groups (from the social and local planning committees to the program and sponsorship committees), to ensure that the spirit of inclusivity touches every aspect of Forum planning
* Designating and publicizing a quiet room, nursing room, gender-neutral restrooms, and other features at the Forum venue
* Helping to arrange DLF Forum childcare services
* Setting up and publicizing community note-taking docs, compiling important accessibility tips for people creating slide decks, and promoting sharing of conference materials through DLF’s OSF for Meetings account
* Facilitating ride-share and room-share connections via a public exchange, to help make the Forum more economically accessible
* Serving as a helpful sounding-board for DLF staff who are working to organize the Forum, and assisting with other projects, large and small
= Join the Standing Committee ==
=-forandand . resources , -. to the group.
The year- round DLF Committee for Equity and Inclusion aims to build and support more inclusive, diverse, and equitable communities of practice. We envision this to be a lightweight group that advises DLF staff, shares expertise and resources, and collaborates with annual Forum “Community” committees to ensure that a spirit of inclusivity permeates the work those groups do in supporting on- site Forum programming. Do you have an article to recommend? Tips on organizing inclusive in-person or remote events? We hope to utilize the expertise of this group when planning the DLF Forum and DLFx events, but also to serve as a framework for community members to ask questions and offer advice.
Interested in volunteering for the standing committee? Please join our [https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl= en#!forum/dlf-committee-for-equity-and-inclusion Google Group] and
check our continuously updated [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hXmj-CNMdXdJM_axRr1U8xEsxylQeOeYYmNkMBIFETI/edit?usp= sharing agenda document] for future meeting details.
'''2019 Subgroups & Goals'''
* Forum Community Committee Subgroup: to advise on inclusivity initiatives for the DLF Forum as part of the Community Committee
of the within
* Forum Bystander Training Subgroup: to develop bystander training for Forum attendees
* Readings & Resources Subgroup: to compile a list of readings & resources on DEI for community use
* Advocacy Subgroup: to plan programming around advocating for equity & inclusion initiatives, recruitment, & leadership within your organization
+ other activities as needed.
Call Information and Agenda ==
Monthly call information + agendas can be found [https:// docs. google.com/ document/ d/ 1hXmj- CNMdXdJM_axRr1U8xEsxylQeOeYYmNkMBIFETI/ edit? usp= sharing here].
The DLF Committee for Equity and Inclusion (CEI) aims to build and support more inclusive, diverse, and equitable practices for Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums (GLAM) organizations. The CEI meets year-round, with its work divided between providing support for DLF Events and serving as a community of practice. We aim to create a space where community members can share expertise, develop frameworks for inclusive practices, and produce knowledge and documentation to be made openly available.
The CEI is composed of both standing sub-groups and short-term project groups. Standing sub-groups focus on broader diversity issues within GLAM. Project groups respond to the immediate needs of the forum or to meet more exigent requests from the community (webinars, toolkits, or other resources). The main efforts of the CEI are typically scheduled around the Forum, with work concentrated in the spring through fall (with Forum taking place in the fall). New member orientation and project planning typically takes place during the rest of the year.
Means of Communication
We use a Google Group and an annual running agenda document for organizing meeting details. Our meetings are held on Zoom. Monthly call information + agendas are in the Google Drive. To suggest new resources for the Reading Resource List, use this feedback form. For suggested edits to the wiki, email the google group.
The work of the committee is overseen by multiple co-chairs within the Admin Group.
- Jasmine Clark (awesome overlord of the committee)
- Lisa Schiff
- Neel Agrawal
- Debbie Krahmer
CEI members can propose discussing the formation of a new subgroup at any time; a decision to establish a subgroup will come out of those discussions. Subgroups typically disband upon the completion of their deliverables, with the exception of the ongoing “Inclusivity @ the DLF Forum” subgroup that provides support for the annual DLF Forum’s inclusivity goals.
There are currently six subgroups within the committee:
As an initiative-based working group, you can choose your level of activity by volunteering.
- If you want to follow or join the main CEI group, please join the Google Group. You are encouraged to attend the monthly meetings.
- If you want to join a subgroup, please contact their respective chairs.
- For specific CEI activities, please visit the Subgroup pages.
As you begin to become involved with the CEI, please review essential on-boarding information to help familiarize yourself with our key activities and administrative information.