Inclusivity at the DLF Forum Subgroup
Advises on inclusivity initiatives for the DLF Forum as part of the Community Committee. Develops and updates the Bystander Training, Code of Conduct, Forum Accessibility checklist, and Accessible Presentations documentation. Serves as a helpful sounding-board for DLF staff who are working to organize the Forum, and assisting with other projects, large and small. Develops and updates programming outside of the regular Forum cycle.
- Chair: Debbie Krahmer
Coordinates the work of the group with the CLIR member and schedules meetings.
Members are expected to participate in all activities of the group, such as updating the Code of Conduct, Accessible Presentation and Events guidelines, Bystander Training, etc.
- Debbie Krahmer, Cornell University (Chair)
- Carrie Pirmann, Bucknell University
- Aliya Reich, CLIR
The committee is currently planning for the 2023 in-person conference.
In 2022, the Inclusivity at the Forum Subgroup accomplished the following:
- Addressed COVID-19 resources and health concerns (regarding masks or vaccinations).
- Updated the Accessible In-Person Presentations guidelines (2022).
- Updated and created new guidelines for accessible events focused on the venue (please see 2019-2021 activity).
- Serving in intentional “connector” roles to our many other Forum planning groups.
- Explored ways to make material accessible beyond the Open Science Framework (OSF) repository for people who weren’t able to attend.
- Revisited the social events checklist.
- Investigated services for live closed-captioning at DLF plenary sessions.
From 2019-2021, the "Inclusivity at the DLF Forum" Subgroup worked on the following items:
- Created an updated webinar on how to create accessible and interactive presentations online.
- Updated the Code of Conduct for 2020 online format.
- Developed materials on facilitating inclusive discussions.
- Revisited the Active Bystander Orientation.
- Updated the 2020/2021 Creating Accessible and Interactive Online Presentations guidelines.
From 2016-2018, the Inclusivity at the Forum Subgroup accomplished the following:
- Expanded and updated DLF’s Code of Conduct.
- Reviewed the conference registration form to ensure that registrants have the opportunity to provide us with accommodation requests, preferred pronouns, dietary restrictions, etc.
- Served in intentional “connector” roles to our many other Forum planning groups (such as the social and local planning committees and the program and sponsorship committees), to ensure that the spirit of inclusivity touches every aspect of Forum planning.
- Designated and publicized a quiet room, nursing room, gender-neutral restrooms, and other features at the Forum venue.
- Helped to arrange DLF Forum childcare services.
- Set up and publicized community note-taking docs, compiling important accessibility tips for people creating slide decks, and promoting sharing of conference materials through DLF’s OSF for Meetings account.
- Facilitated ride-share and room-share connections via a public exchange, to help make the Forum more economically accessible.
- Served as a helpful sounding-board for DLF staff who are working to organize the Forum.
Back to main CEI page.