DLF Assessment Interest Group: Metadata Working Group
(Metadata Assessment Working Group)
This group is open to anyone who is interested in taking part. There are no minimum or membership requirements, though we hope you’ll take as active a part as you’re able and willing.
The Metadata Assessment Working Group aims to build guidelines, best practices, tools and workflows around the evaluation and assessment of metadata used by and for digital libraries and repositories. The group hopes to offer deliverables and recommendations that digital library and repository users can implement for metadata assessment and metadata quality control.
This group should not focus on prescriptive recommendations for metadata (using one schema versus another, or comparisons of controlled vocabularies, etc.), but rather how (both functionally and to what metrics) to measure, evaluate and assess the metadata as it exists in a variety of digital library systems. Future work could lend itself to then using that assessment work to decide a pathway for metadata enhancement. This framing is very much influenced by the flurry of interest, activity and discussion around metadata assessment that occurred just after DPLAfest 2015.
The goals, aims, and deliverables of the Metadata Working Group were decided in the kick off meeting by participants. Broadly, we aim to:
- Work collaboratively on a white paper that will be an aggregate of a number of areas of work...
- the first being a literature (and tools) review of metadata assessment work so far (current focus of our work) - http://bit.ly/MetadataAssessDraft
- then further clarifying for our work metadata assessment metrics and definitions
- then building out a metadata assessment rubric
- as well as capturing metadata assessment use cases.
See more about the group's goals and discussion on them at http://bit.ly/metadataAssessment
General Projects Timeframe
- December 2015: Call for all people interested in participating in this group.
- December 2015 - Mid January 2016: All interested participants should join the Google Group to then be invited to edit shared documentation (Google documents, like this document) bringing together existing metadata assessment tools, work, resources, use cases, methods, etc.
- 29 January 2016, 1 PM EST: The first virtual meeting of the group, through Webex (information at top of this document). At this first meeting, more specific goals will be decided.
- February 2016 - April 2016: Work on the literature + tools review of the white paper/toolkit.
- May 2016 - November 2016 (DLF 2016): The group will hold regular virtual meetings (the frequency of which will be decided at the first call) for working towards the second round of metadata assessment goals and deliverables.
- November 2016: Meeting at DLF 2016 in Milwaukee (attendance not required to be a part of this group!), as well as next round of planning for metadata assessment meetings and deliverables.
The Metadata Working Group will primarily communicate through the DLF AIG Metadata Working Group Google Group.
We have a WG call every 2 weeks on Thursdays at 11 AM EST. The call information (including dates and Webex links) can be found below.
We will also have a gathering at the 2016 DLF Forum (attendance to this in person meeting is not required for folks to be involved in this group).
All the work is being done in this Google Drive space: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B74oOQcTdnHjWk51a283bUVta0E&usp=sharing
This Wikipage will be used to shared decided information - meeting times, decided deliverables and goals, etc.
Metadata Working Group Meetings
We have working meetings every 2 weeks: Thursdays at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific. Agendas go out to the Google Group beforehand.
Here is a public Google Calendar with repeating event and webex information for ease of sharing: http://bit.ly/MetadataAssessmentCalendar
- Thursday, April 7th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
Thursday, April 21st, 2016 11 AM EasternSee here for more information: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dlf-aig-metadata-assessment-working-group/1803gUeMtYQ
- Thursday, May 5th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, May 19th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, June 2nd, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, June 16th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, June 30th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, July 14th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, July 28th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, August 11th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, August 25th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, September 8th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, September 22nd, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, October 6th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, October 20th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, November 3rd, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- DLF Forum: November 7-10, 2016 (exact meeting time TBD)
- No meeting: Thursday, November 17th, 2016 11 AM Eastern (recover from DLF)
- Thursday, December 1st, 2016 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, December 15th, 2016 11 AM Eastern
2017 will be decided at the 2017 'kick off' meeting, where new priorities and plans will be brought up.
JOIN WEBEX MEETING https://cornell.webex.com/cornell/j.php?MTID=m10772e85116c02481454a631fb207ad4 Meeting number: 644 111 236 Meeting password: Metadata1
JOIN BY PHONE 1-855-244-8681 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada) 1-650-479-3207 Call-in toll number (US/Canada) Access code: 644 111 236
Global call-in numbers: https://cornell.webex.com/cornell/globalcallin.php?serviceType=MC&ED=416965327&tollFree=1
Toll-free dialing restrictions: http://www.webex.com/pdf/tollfree_restrictions.pdf
See the notes and agenda portion of our shared Google Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B74oOQcTdnHjdlJjU2dfX1gtVzQ