DLF Assessment Interest Group: Metadata Working Group
(Metadata Assessment Working Group)
This group is open to anyone who is interested in taking part. There are no minimum or membership requirements, though we hope you’ll take as active a part as you’re able and willing.
The Metadata Assessment Working Group aims to build guidelines, best practices, tools and workflows around the evaluation and assessment of metadata used by and for digital libraries and repositories. The group hopes to offer deliverables and recommendations that digital library and repository users can implement for metadata assessment and metadata quality control.
This group should not focus on prescriptive recommendations for metadata (using one schema versus another, or comparisons of controlled vocabularies, etc.), but rather how (both functionally and to what metrics) to measure, evaluate and assess the metadata as it exists in a variety of digital library systems. Future work could lend itself to then using that assessment work to decide a pathway for metadata enhancement.
We are currently setting directions, deliverables, and goals for 2017 - to be decided at the 2017 kick-off meeting See more about the group's goals and discussion for 2017, our kick-off meeting information, and comment/add your thoughts at 
2017 General Timeframe
- 12 January 2017, 11 AM EST: The 2017 Metadata Assessment Working Group Kick-off Meeting. 2017 goals and deliverables will be decided at this meeting. See 
- [rest to be filled in after kick-off meeting]
- November 2017: Meeting at DLF 2017 in Pittsburgh (attendance not required to be a part of this group!), as well as next round of planning for metadata assessment meetings and deliverables.
The 2016 goals, aims, and deliverables of the Metadata Assessment Working Group were decided in the 2016 kickoff meeting by participants. Goals included:
- setting up and testing the Metadata Assessment Working Group infrastructure & logistics;
- pulling together resources and ideas for definitions & metrics for metadata assessment, as well as beginning to uncover how one would perform this assessment;
- generating use cases for metadata assessment functionalities;
- uncovering tools that exist for metadata assessment, including how to use and understand the results
- 2016 metadata assessment, evaluation and ‘quality’ environmental scan;
- Use cases and scenarios illustrating metadata assessment practices & needs;
- Rubric & metrics for performing mostly digital collections, mostly descriptive metadata assessment (in progress);
- Working documents (Google Drive);
- GitHub infrastructure / organization
The Metadata Working Group will primarily communicate through the DLF AIG Metadata Working Group Google Group.
We have a WG call every 2 weeks on Thursdays at 11 AM EST. The call information (including dates and Webex links) can be found below.
We will also have a gathering at the 2017 DLF Forum (attendance to this in person meeting is not required for folks to be involved in this group).
This wiki page will be used to shared static information - meeting times, decided deliverables and goals for the year, etc.
Metadata Working Group Meetings
We have working meetings every 2 weeks: Thursdays at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific. Agendas go out to the Google Group beforehand.
- Thursday, January 12th, 2017 11 AM Eastern - kick off meeting
- Thursday, January 26th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, February 9th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, March 9th, 2017 11 AM Eastern (possibly rescheduled due to Code4Lib)
- Thursday, March 23rd, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, April 6th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, April 20th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, May 4th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, May 18th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, June 1st, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, June 15th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, June 29th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, July 13th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, July 27th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, August 10th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, August 24th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, September 7th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, September 21st, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, October 5th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, October 19th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- DLF Forum October 23rd-25th
- Thursday, November 2nd, 2017 11 AM Eastern (may be cancelled for sake of meeting week before at DLF Forum)
- Thursday, November 16th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, November 30th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
- Thursday, December 14th, 2017 11 AM Eastern
JOIN WEBEX MEETING https://cornell.webex.com/cornell/j.php?MTID=m8919824e5fbf098c530d0e44951101c0 Meeting number (access code): 645 170 370 Meeting password: Metadata1
JOIN BY PHONE 1-855-244-8681 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada) 1-650-479-3207 Call-in toll number (US/Canada)
Global call-in numbers: https://cornell.webex.com/cornell/globalcallin.php?serviceType=MC&ED=518200872&tollFree=1 Toll-free dialing restrictions: https://www.webex.com/pdf/tollfree_restrictions.pdf Can't join the meeting? Contact support here: https://cornell.webex.com/cornell/mc
See the notes and agenda portion of our shared Google Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B74oOQcTdnHjdlJjU2dfX1gtVzQ