Content Working Group Calendar
Members: feel free to edit this calendar directly to add Content Team meetings, In-person CWG meetings tied in with conferences, or other events. Trouble with wiki editing? Contact Lauren (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you need help.
We are now signing up members to give brief presentations at our all-hands meetings. Please sign up for any future open slot by clicking "edit" next to the month you'd like to sign up for, and replacing "open" text with your name and institution. See NDSA:Member Presentations for more information.
- 1 2013
- 2 2014
- 3 2015
- 4 2016
- 5 2017
- 8/11-17: SAA
- Tuesday 8/20, 3pm ET: Call to discuss Web Archiving Survey planning/questions. Minutes here: NDSA:August 21, 2013 Meeting Minutes
- 8/28 CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET: Member Presentations/Discussion. Minutes here: NDSA:Content WG August 28, 2013 Meeting Minutes
- Margie Maes, LIPA : File:NDSA lightning talk Maes LIPA.pdf
No meetings scheduled.
- 10/2 CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. *Agenda: Misc topics: general updates from Content teams, review of web archiving survey, misc. CANCELLED DUE TO SHUTDOWN
- Week of October 21: Web Archiving Survey launch/announcement
- 11/6: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Member Presentations/Discussion. NDSA:CWG Meeting Minutes November 6, 2013 (includes presentations)
- Rachel Wise (Harvard Business School)
- Rachel Howard (University of Louisville)
- Chris Dietrich, National Park Service
- 11/13-15: Best Practices Exchange/Archive-IT partner meeting
- 11/30 Web archiving survey closes
- 12/4: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Presenters:
- Theme: National Agenda topic: Web and Social Media (Kris Carpenter/IA and Abbie Grotke/LC) NDSA:12/3/13 Meeting Minutes (includes links to presentation slides)
- 12/9-12/10: CNI in D.C.
- 1/8: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Theme: Electronic Records - National Agenda Content Area NDSA:Jan 8 2014 Minutes
- Erik Rau, Hagley (Business Records)
- Sarah Koonts, State Archivist for North Carolina (COSA's SERI)
- Glen McAninch, Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives (State Records)
- Bob Spangler, NARA (Federal Records)
- 2/5: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Member Presentations/Discussion/Updates on CWG business. Presenters:
- Barbara Haws and Mitch Brodsky, New York Philharmonic NDSA:CWG February 5 Meeting Minutes
- 3/5: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Theme: Moving Image and Sound - National Agenda Content Area NDSA:Meeting Minutes 3/5/14
- John Spencer, BMS/Chase
- Karen Cariani, WGBH
- Linda Tadic, Audiovisual Archive Network
- Kat Bell, Dance Heritage Coalition
- 3/7-16: SXSW
- 4/2: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. CANCELLED
- 5/7: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Member Presentations/Discussion. NDSA:May 7 Minutes
Presenters: Maureen Harlow: National Digital Stewardship Residency at NLM and Nicholas Taylor, Stanford University
- 6/4: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Theme: Research Data - National Agenda Content Area NDSA:June 4 Meeting Minutes
- 7/2: CWG All-hands meeting canceled.
- 7/21 3:30-5pm ET (face-to-face meeting at Library of Congress, Room LM 139) NDSA:Meeting Minutes July 21, 2014
- 8/29: Brainstorming monthly meeting topics NDSA:Meeting Minutes 8/29/14
- 9/3: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. NDSA:Meeting Minutes 9/3/14
- 10/1: CWG All-hands meeting. NDSA:Meeting minutes 10/1/14
- 11/5: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. MEETING CANCELLED
- 12/3: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Recording of meeting here: https://locosi.adobeconnect.com/p82pmstsurk/
Edward McCain joined us to talk about the recent event held at RJI, Dodging the Memory Hole: Saving Born Digital News Content (http://www.rjionline.org/events/memoryhole).
We also had a presentation from Ben Welsh, who is a database producer at the Los Angeles Times and the creator of PastPages, an archive dedicated to the preservation of online news. Ben attended the RJI event and presented about StoryTracker, and will reprise his presentation for our meeting. StoryTracker is a new set of open source tools aimed at analyzing the stories that appear on news homepages. In this brief talk, Ben will show its key features and demonstrate how it could be useful in other efforts to save and scrutinize the Web.
- 1/7: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. MEETING CANCELLED
- 2/4: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Recording of meeting is here: https://locosi.adobeconnect.com/p28iezwy6u9/
Focus of meeting was sharing ideas for projects and speakers for 2015. Looked at NDSA National Agenda recommended actions, Web Archiving Survey, and notes from previous brainstorming sessions.
- 3/4: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Recording: https://locosi.adobeconnect.com/p998z07jksc/
- 4/1: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
Theme: Managing Electronic Records (focusing on working with creators) - 2015 National Agenda Content Area
Glen McAninch, University of Kentucky shared the challenges of records retention for websites, working with creators to produce preservation ready formats, metadata
Kevin De Vorsey, NARA shared challenges of providing transfer guidance to 250 federal agencies, flexible time frames for transferring content to NARA, preparing meaningful guidelines for records created now and records that will be handed over many years from now, transfer guidance for records officers that IT can work with, metadata requirements.
- 5/6: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. NDSA:Meeting Notes
- Member presentation from the Dance Heritage Coalition
- iPRES November 2-6 in Chapel Hill, NC (possible contributions from NDSA members)
- NDSA transition
- Member news
- 6/3: CWG All-hands meeting,
- Presentation from Vangelis Banos, the creator of the ArchiveReady tool for evaluating website archivability. ArchiveReady makes calculations based on 4 factors: accessibility, cohesion, metadata, and standards compliance. Slides are available at http://www.slideshare.net/vbanos1/website-archivability-library-of-congress-ndiipp-presentation-20150603.
- Proposals for iPRES 2015 conference, Chapel Hill, NC, November 2-6
- Planning for Web Archiving Survey 2015
- Member announcements/news
- 7/1: No meeting
- 8/5: No meeting
- DUE to problems with a power outage and hardware failure the NDSA listservs were unoperational August 29-September 3. An email update will be circulated when the listservs are back online and we will reschedule our September call for later in the month. Sorry for the last-minute change.
- 9/2: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
- iPres meeting panel, reception (see also http://ipres2015.org/)
- 2015 NDSA Web Archiving Survey update
- NDSA transition September 30
- 10/7: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
Member presentation: Lauren Work from Virginia Commonwealth University
- 11/4: No meeting. NDSA events at iPRES 2015 in Chapel Hill, NC.
- 12/2: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. NDSA:December 2, 2015 Meeting Notes
Discussed the activities of the working group, what works well and what doesn’t, and how we might recommend the group carry forward into the future. Oliver Bendorf of DLF joined us for the discussion.
- 1/6: No meeting
- 2/3: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
- NDSA updates, including new NDSA web site, wiki page
- NDSA web archiving survey (http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/2016/01/survey-how-do-you-approach-web-archiving/)
- CWG statement of purpose (review and discuss):
“The Content Working Group will focus on identifying content already preserved, investigating guidelines for the selection of significant content, discovery of at-risk digital content or collections, and matching orphan content with NDSA partners who will acquire the content, preserve it, and provide access to it.”
- Activities for 2016, including Content Case studies
- Welcome and statement from DLF (Oliver and Bethany)
- Interest Group/Working Group discussion
- Presentation schedule:
- April 6: Focus on social media with presentations from representatives from Documenting the Now project and DPC Preserving Social Media report (Christie & Abbey)
- May 4:
- June 1:
- Announcements (all)
- 3/2: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
- 4/6: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Focus on Social Media Preservation, with guest speakers Sara Day Thomson and Bergis Jules. Audio available now! Listen online here.
- 5/4: Meeting cancelled
- 6/1: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET. Welcome to new Co-Chairs Maureen Harlow and Lauren Work! Listen online here.
- 7/6: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
1. DLF (Nov. 7-9) and Digital Preservation (Nov 9-10) 2016 registration now open, CWG lunch at Digital Preservation 2016 2. Web Archiving Survey Update, updated Working Group report structure possibilities 3. Continuation of the presentation schedule discussion (past presentations include a focus on Social Media) 4. Member updates
- 8/3: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
- 9/7: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
- 10/5: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
1. Case Studies and ideas for future working groups
2. Report out on Archivematicamp (LW), resources from Archivematicamp
2016 Inaugural Archivematicamp website: https://wiki.archivematica.org/Community/Camps/UMSI2016
Google Drive of public Archivematicamp resources: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0By4GpQlPYswARFhNbmFJUFI2ZDg
3. Updates from members
- 11/2: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
- 12/7: CWG All-hands meeting, 11am ET.
1. Communication updates and member profile introduction
2. DLF/DigPres review
3. Goals for Content for 2017
4. Member updates
- 1/4: CIG meeting 11AM ET. MEETING CANCELLED.
- 2/1: CIG meeting 11AM ET.
1. Web Archiving Survey update - Christie Moffatt
2. Content Interest Group webpage review and content team review
3. Planning for March 2017 PDF/A call with Sarah Romkey of Archivematica and Carl Wilson of veraPDF
4. Member updates
- 3/1: CIG meeting 11AM ET.
1. Presentations by Sarah Romkey (Archivematica) and Carl Wilson (OPF) related to PDF/A workflows.
Both presentations were recorded, and you can listen online here!
Slides from both Sarah and Carl's presentations are also available here.
1a. Sarah Romkey presentation: Sarah focused on PDF/A conversion tools (Ghostscript) within Archivematica, as well as the Format Policy Registry.
1b. Carl Wilson presentation: Carl focused on veraPDF, an open source, industry supported PDF/A validation tool.
- 4/5: CIG meeting 11AM ET.
- 5/3: CIG meeting 11am ET.
1) NDSA Coordinating Committee updates
- Discussion platforms
- Input on sunsetting of working groups on NDSA website
- Survey and Publication workflows
- Outreach approach with NDSA
Look for more member features, blog posts, internal and external outreach to connect members and projects.
2) Planning and input for Content Case Studies reboot (Review here.)
- Review of past Content Case Studies, ideas for moving forward on updating and/or issuing more studies as an Interest Group
Some studies were researched but not published a few years ago, including government information, specifically focused at the time on the preservation of legal information
- Other Case Studies stemmed from digital stewardship calls to action or previously existing Content interest groups. This included the science blogs and forums case studies that likely need updating.
- Discussion of Case Study structure updates to include related publications, partners, etc.
- More discussion needed on how we want to develop, organize, contribute, review, publish, and promote Case Studies.
3) Member updates
- 6/7: CIG meeting 11am ET.
- 7/5: CIG meeting 11am ET.
- 8/2: CIG meeting 11am ET.
- 9/6: CIG meeting 11 am ET.
- 10/4: CIG meeting 11am ET.
- 11/1: CIG meeting 11 am ET.
- 12/6: CIG meeting 11am ET.