This is a page for the DLF Working Group on Labor in Digital Libraries.
Working Group on Labor in Digital Libraries, Archives, and Museums
Read an announcement on the group's formation, by Ruth Tillman.
TO JOIN: please sign up for the Google Group.
As of April, 2017, this group is forming two smaller working groups with two facilitators each, based on themes pulled from member introductions and responses to the initial interest survey (now closed). Join a sub-group by filling out this form.
Both subgroups are collecting citations and materials relevant to their work in a Zotero group.
Contingency and Precarity
Facilitators: Ruth Tillman, Sandy Rodriguez
Topics: Grant-funded & term positions, organizing workers, digitization & labor (including labor of incarcerated workers), labor and digital scholarship, internships, credential creep/credentialism
- finalizing the guidelines for grant-funded positions
- organizing and setting up logistics for communication;
- performing a literature review on contingency and precarity;
- analyzing and sharing readings to determine scope of work;
- drafting guidelines for designing grant-funded positions
Facilitators: Amy Wickner (Melissa Chalmers, on leave)
Topics: Organiz(ed/ing) labor, (in)visibility, maintenance, emotional labor, classification of labor, transitions across categories of labor, worker-centered assessment, hiring and retention practices especially re: members of marginalized communities
- Collaborate on a research agenda for valuing labor in digital libraries
- Draft research agenda