Strategies for Advancing Hidden Collections
We understand that the six webinars included in the Strategies for Advancing Hidden Collections (SAHC) series only scratch the surface on the issues faced by those dealing with processing Hidden Collections. We hope that the resources assembled below will provide useful information to achieve your project processing goals, supplementing the content of the webinar series.
The below resources have been compiled by a group of experts in the GLAM (Gallery, Library, Archives, Museum) community. We have done our best to present a wide range of solutions and suggestions for a variety of collecting organizations.
Joy M. Banks, Consultant
- Angela Kipp, Collection Manager, TECHNOSEUM and Administrator, Registrar Trek
- Rosemary Pleva Flynn, Principal Librarian, Library and Information Services Team Lead, Energy and Environmental Research Center (EERC) at the University of North Dakota
- Sarah Leu, Project Archivist, Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- Beth Knazook, Library Juice Academy and Queen's University
- Jessica Bitely, Director of Preservation Services, Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC)
- Yvonne Ng, Senior Archivist, WITNESS
- Ellen Ryan, Head of Special Collections and Archives and Assistant Professor, Idaho State University
- Stephanie Gaub Antequino, Memorabilia Archivist, Planet Hollywood International
- Casey Davis, Project Manager, American Archive of Public Broadcasting
- Tamar Evangelista-Dougherty, Consultant
- Linda Hocking, Curator of Library and Archives, Litchfield Historical Society
- Daniel Johnson, Digital Preservation Librarian, University of Iowa
- Holly Mengel, Manuscripts Cataloging Librarian, University of Pennsylvania
- Matthew Peek, Military Collections Archivist, State Archives of North Carolina
- Kelly Revak, Processing Archivist, Library of Congress
If you have any suggestions for resources that would be appropriate additions the this resources library, please let us know.
Where to begin: Basics of project planning for GLAM organizations
The resources in this section will help lay the foundation for successful project planning and management.
The webinar recording can be accessed here when available.
- CLIR 2010 Hidden Collections Symposium
- CLIR 2015 Hidden Collections Symposium & Unconference
- CLIR Hidden Collections Registry
- WebJunction Planning & Coordination Topic Page
- Connecting to Collections Care Resources
Selecting the best collection management system
Note: Some of these resources may be dated but can still contain useful information. SEE ALSO Collection access: Describing, cataloging, and processing with the future in mind
For all institution types
- CarLibrary.org - Collection Management Systems - A detailed resource discussing all aspects of selecting a management system including a number of links to additional resources. The page also includes a link to a summary table of a wide range of CMS software systems.
- Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing a Museum Collections Management System - Tips on selecting the right museum CMS software from History Associates, Inc..
- Collections Management Software - A list with additional information on software systems designed specifically for the museum collection management environment from the Museum Association of New York.
- Museum Collections Management Systems: One Size Does NOT Fit All - Masters Thesis by Elana C. Carpinone, Seton Hall University, May 2010
- Collection management systems: Museums and the Web 2011 - A listing and explanation of collection management systems represented at the Museums and the Web 2011 event.
- The Small Libraries Manager's Handbook, edited by Alice Graves. Includes several chapters on system selection.
- Archival Management Software - A report for the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR) by Lisa Spiro, January 2009
Collection Prioritization & Assessment
- PACSCL Survey Initiative - Includes information and resources from the Philadelphia Area Consortium of Special Collections Libraries (PACSCL) Consortial Survey Initiative project to assess backlogged archival collections.
- Taking Stock and Making Hay: Archival Collections Assessment - A report from OCLC by Martha O'Hara Conway and Merrilee Proffitt, July 2011.
- Strategy and Priorities for Cataloging the National Woman's Party Collection - A report from the Sewall-Belmont House and Museum that can be used as a sample collection analysis tool
- Benchmarks in Collections Care - The resources page provides access to information on Benchmarks in Collection Care as well as the self assessment checklist to aid in establishing realistic colleciton goals. This is a resource provided by the Collections Trust.
- Survey Instrument for Audio & Moving Image Collections - A resource developed by the Columbia University Libraries to inventory and assess audio and moving image materials.
- Special Collections Materials Survey Instrument - A resource developed by the Columbia University Libraries to evaluate under-processed archival collections.
- Standards and Excellence Program (StEPs) - A self-study program developed by the American Association for State and Local History (AASLH) designed specifically for small to mid-sized organizations.
- American Alliance of Museums (AAM) Assessment Programs - A page describing the Continuum of Excellence to help move organizations towards better stewardship of their collections.
- IMLS Collections Assessment for Preservation Program (CAP) - A grant program through the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). Deadline for applications vary.
- Library Workflow Exchange - A space for libraries to share and find workflows and best practices across institutions.
- Workflows from the Documenting Modern Living project - Examples of workflows from the Documenting Modern Living: Digitizing the Miller House and Garden Collection Tumblr page
Project Management Tools
- Improve Your Collaboration: 18 Project Management Tools for Marketing Agencies - Not GLAM specific, but a resource by Jami Oetting on selecting a project management tool with some suggested software.
- 14 best free project management software programs 2016: Great project management software tools that don't cost a penny - By Matt Egan and posted on TechWorld, includes software and brief explanations of each.
- 21 Ways to Excel at Project Management - A detailed step by step tool from ProjectSmart for successful project management from beginning to end.
Building resources and relationships: Determining what and who you need
The resources in this section will help guide project managers through the process of estimating project costs, communicating costs with others, and building relationships for support.
The webinar recording can be accessed here when available.
- WebJunction Budgets & Funding Resource Page - Resources, webinars, and other information on budget planning and development for libraries that can be applied to all GLAM organizations.
- Connecting to Collections Care Resources Page - For more information on budgets and increasing collection support, select the Increasing Support for Collections Care from the list.
- MAP Resources for Fund Development - Resources from the MAP for Nonprofits, serving nonprofits through provision of consulting and training.
- Free Management Library All About Nonprofit Fundraising Resources - A extensive listing of resources for nonprofits from the Free Management Library, a service of Authenticity Consulting, LLC.