Unconference and Ignite Talks
Thanks to everyone who participated!!!
Enjoy the low-rez "guerilla" webcast of the Ignite talks and the tweets and photos via #openlabworkshop. File:Openlabworkshop/Screen Streaming of the Ignite talks (low rez - - the high-rez with closed captions will follow)
Tuesday December 1, 2015 Ignite and Unconference in the Washington DC area
Change is hard and slow and we suck at it. Why? Can we do something about that?
Location and start time
Estimated 2pm - 6:00 pm with cash bar for the Ignite talks and food/bar after 2:00pm unconference 5:15 break (cash bar opens) 5:45 Ignite 6:45 7:00 Reception (cash bar, food to fill you up.)
[Crystal City] 2399 Jefferson Davis Hwy Arlington, VA 22202 @http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/virginia/hilton-crystal-city-at-washington-reagan-national-airport-DCANAHF/index.html Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/ZmJxTEJG6zz
The main page for the Openlab Workshop is here: http://openlabworkshop.wikispaces.com and an overview of the Openlab concept is here: http://openlabworkshop.wikispaces.com/Openlab+Concept
Do you love science, history, and the humanities? Are you passionate about technology and the future of museums, libraries, and archives? If so, join us at the Openlab Workshop Unconference and Ignite talks on the afternoon of December 1, 2015, in Crystal City, VA (just outside DC). Use the links above to register for the Unconference and propose an Ignite talk.
The Ignite talks and unconference will kick off a formal invitation-only workshop being held the following day, and the idea is to use the unconference/Ignite sessions to get some strong opinions and insight from perspectives and voices that might not otherwise get heard at a formal planning workshop.
As a starting point (and food for thought), here are some of the questions that we've been wrestling with (and need help with!),
- What needs to change in galleries, libraries, archives, and museums (GLAMs)? How can technology help (or hurt) GLAM missions?
- How can Openlab help individual scholar/researchers and small and mid-sized organizations?
- What is Openlab’s primary value proposition? Is the overarching vision compelling, accurate, and complete?
- What is missing in the current funding and support landscape for GLAMs and the humanities? What can a project like Openlab add?
- How can Openlab improve the lives of scholars and citizens? How can it benefit the common good?
- What is a realistic 5-year program of activities for Openlab? In what sequence should these features and programs be unveiled and delivered? What levels of cost and effort will produce the best outcomes?
- If Openlab moves forward, where should the project be based and how should it be run? Does Openlab need to have a physical space? How would a physical presence affect the project’s scope and capabilities?
- What kind of staff does Openlab require, and with what skills?
- What models of evaluation are appropriate for Openlab? How would different evaluation techniques affect the freedom to experiment and fail?
- What are the benefits and risks of conducting Openlab as a global initiative? How might the project be “global by default”?
- What are the risks of the Openlab project? How might they be mitigated?
...Feel free to edit/expand this list and make suggestions.
And let us know if there's something we're missing or anything else you'd like to know. Thanks! user:edsonm
We value your attendance. The OpenLab Workshop is being convened under the DLF's Code of Conduct.
Openlab Workshop Organizers, Co-Conveners, and Partners
File:Openlabworkshop/Logo neh 50 logo 2color.jpg File:Openlabworkshop/LogoAlliance logo FullColorOnWhite.jpg File:Openlabworkshop/LogoAAM Sub-Brand2 File:Openlabworkshop/Logo ala stacked.jpg File:Openlabworkshop/logo DPLA.png File:Openlabworkshop/DLF Logo.png File:Openlabworkshop/logo-BPOC-Logo.png File:Openlabworkshop/EU basic logo landscape black.png File:Openlabworkshop/Logo-CapVisCntr c.png File:Openlabworkshop/logo-datasociety logotype transparent web.png