Planning an In-Person Meetup
|“Working out practicalities of doing what you love is much more fun together.”—Olivia Thompson|
Many DLF groups and communities meet annually at the DLF Forum. In-person meetings can be a great way to give your group a milestone toward which to work, and DLF groups find Forum gatherings a fun way to celebrate accomplishments, generate ideas and goals, welcome new members, and build momentum for the coming year. Our staff are always available to consult, advise, and help with logistics. Possibilities include panel discussions, working lunch sessions (where established DLF groups get special priority), breakfast meetings, workshops, or evening social meetups.
Some examples from recent DLF Forums:
- What’s on the Digital Library Pedagogy Menu? A Working Lunch
- Collaborative Efforts to Develop Best Practices in Assessment: A Progress Report
- Digital Humanities/#DLFteach Happy Hour
- Minimal Computing Group Dinner
- Digital Library Assessment Lunch 2015 and 2016
We're also happy to collaborate on in-person meet-ups and events held elsewhere. Some things to think about:
- Where will your community be gathering anyway? Add-on events save costs!
- What work can be done ahead of time, and what most benefits from in-person exchange?
- How can you make your meeting as inclusive and accessible as possible?
- What support from DLF would make all the difference?
DLF staff will make every effort to create a safe and welcoming environment on-site at the DLF Forum, but please don’t forget that even off-site DLF group meetings (such as happy hour events and dinners) fall under the terms of our DLF Code of Conduct. Please take your responsibility as host seriously, and work to make gatherings enjoyable for everyone.
Table of Contents
- About DLF and the Organizers' Toolkit
- Working with Team DLF
- Starting a New Initiative or Working Group
- General Facilitation and Goal-Setting
- Facilitating for Diversity and Inclusion
- Communications and Consensus
- Preventing and Managing Burnout
- Gathering Info/Building Enthusiasm
- Planning an In-Person Meetup
- Setting Up Year-Round Meetings
- Planning Virtual Meetings and Webinars
- Talking and Writing
- Organizing and Sharing Your Work
- In a Nutshell