Inclusivity at the DLF Forum Subgroup: Difference between revisions

From DLF Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
 
(23 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
== Charge ==
== Charge ==
To advise on inclusivity initiatives for the DLF Forum as part of the Community Committee. Develop and update the Bystander Training, Code of Conduct, and Accessible Presentations documentation.


== Activities ==
Advises on inclusivity initiatives for the DLF Forum as part of the Community Committee. Develops and updates the Bystander Training, Code of Conduct, Forum Accessibility checklist, and Accessible Presentations documentation. Serves as a helpful sounding-board for DLF staff who are working to organize the Forum, and assisting with other projects, large and small. Develops and updates programming outside of the regular Forum cycle.


As of August 2020, the "inclusivity at the DLF forum" subgroup is/will be working on the following items:
== Key Contact ==
* Chair: [mailto:dkrahmer@cornell.edu Debbie Krahmer]


# Creating an updated webinar on how to create accessible and interactive presentations online. The current resource is from Sept. 2017 and can be found at http://forum2017.diglib.org/presentations-webinar/
== Members ==
## Updated [[Creating Accessible and Interactive Online Presentations]]
# Update the code of conduct for 2020 online format
# Develop some support information on inclusive discussions.
# Revisit [https://wiki.diglib.org/Bystander_Training_Subgroup Active Bystander Orientation] for 2020: (either webinar or in-person at DLF forum). Existing resources from 2019 can be found at https://forum2019.diglib.org/active-bystander-orientation/


== from the old March 2020 list ==
=== Chair Responsibilities ===


# Revisit social events checklist: https://www.diglib.org/dlf-events/dlf-social-event-checklist/
Coordinates the work of the group with the CLIR member and schedules meetings.
# Investigate services for providing live closed-captioning at DLF plenary sessions.


Contact Aliya Reich areich@clir.org for more information.
=== Member Responsibilities ===
 
Members are expected to participate in all activities of the group, such as updating the Code of Conduct, Accessible Presentation and Events guidelines, Bystander Training, etc.
 
=== Current Members ===
 
* Debbie Krahmer, Cornell University (Chair)
* Carrie Pirmann, Bucknell University
* Aliya Reich, CLIR
 
== Current Activities ==
 
The committee is currently planning for the 2023 in-person conference.


== Previous Activity ==
== Previous Activity ==
Our 2016-2018 Forum Inclusivity Committees were made up of volunteers who have thoughtfully and collaboratively implemented initiatives, including:
===2022===
In 2022, the Inclusivity at the Forum Subgroup accomplished the following:


* Expanding and updating DLF’s [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoj5GRxz-QU&t=66s Code of Conduct]
* Addressed COVID-19 resources and health concerns (regarding masks or vaccinations).
* Reviewing the conference registration form to ensure that registrants have the opportunity to provide us with accommodation requests, preferred pronouns, dietary restrictions, etc.
* Updated the [https://wiki.diglib.org/Creating_Accessible_In-Person_Presentations Accessible In-Person Presentations] guidelines (2022).
* Serving in intentional “connector” roles to our many other Forum planning groups (from the social and local planning committees to the program and sponsorship committees), to ensure that the spirit of inclusivity touches every aspect of Forum planning
* Updated and created new guidelines for accessible events focused on the venue (please see 2019-2021 activity).
* Designating and publicizing a quiet room, nursing room, gender-neutral restrooms, and other features at the Forum venue
* Serving in intentional “connector” roles to our many other Forum planning groups.
* Helping to arrange DLF Forum childcare services
* Explored ways to make material accessible beyond the Open Science Framework (OSF) repository for people who weren’t able to attend.
* Setting up and publicizing community note-taking docs, compiling important accessibility tips for people creating slide decks, and promoting sharing of conference materials through DLF’s OSF for Meetings account
* Revisited the social events [https://www.diglib.org/dlf-events/dlf-social-event-checklist/ checklist].
* Facilitating ride-share and room-share connections via a public exchange, to help make the Forum more economically accessible
* Investigated services for live closed-captioning at DLF plenary sessions.
* Serving as a helpful sounding-board for DLF staff who are working to organize the Forum, and assisting with other projects, large and small


===2019-2021===
From 2019-2021, the "Inclusivity at the DLF Forum" Subgroup worked on the following items:
* Created an updated webinar on how to create accessible and interactive presentations online.
* Updated the [https://www.diglib.org/about/code-of-conduct/ Code of Conduct] for 2020 online format.
* Developed materials on facilitating inclusive discussions.
* Revisited the [https://wiki.diglib.org/Bystander_Training_Subgroup Active Bystander Orientation].
* Updated the 2020/2021 [https://wiki.diglib.org/Creating_Accessible_and_Interactive_Online_Presentations Creating Accessible and Interactive Online Presentations] guidelines.


===2016-2018===
From 2016-2018, the Inclusivity at the Forum Subgroup accomplished the following:
* Expanded and updated DLF’s [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoj5GRxz-QU&t=66s Code of Conduct].
* Reviewed the conference registration form to ensure that registrants have the opportunity to provide us with accommodation requests, preferred pronouns, dietary restrictions, etc.
* Served in intentional “connector” roles to our many other Forum planning groups (such as the social and local planning committees and the program and sponsorship committees), to ensure that the spirit of inclusivity touches every aspect of Forum planning.
* Designated and publicized a quiet room, nursing room, gender-neutral restrooms, and other features at the Forum venue.
* Helped to arrange DLF Forum childcare services.
* Set up and publicized community note-taking docs, compiling important accessibility tips for people creating slide decks, and promoting sharing of conference materials through DLF’s OSF for Meetings account.
* Facilitated ride-share and room-share connections via a public exchange, to help make the Forum more economically accessible.
* Served as a helpful sounding-board for DLF staff who are working to organize the Forum.


Back to [[Committee for Equity and Inclusion|main CEI page]].
Back to [[Committee for Equity and Inclusion|main CEI page]].

Latest revision as of 13:23, 17 February 2023

Charge

Advises on inclusivity initiatives for the DLF Forum as part of the Community Committee. Develops and updates the Bystander Training, Code of Conduct, Forum Accessibility checklist, and Accessible Presentations documentation. Serves as a helpful sounding-board for DLF staff who are working to organize the Forum, and assisting with other projects, large and small. Develops and updates programming outside of the regular Forum cycle.

Key Contact

Members

Chair Responsibilities

Coordinates the work of the group with the CLIR member and schedules meetings.

Member Responsibilities

Members are expected to participate in all activities of the group, such as updating the Code of Conduct, Accessible Presentation and Events guidelines, Bystander Training, etc.

Current Members

  • Debbie Krahmer, Cornell University (Chair)
  • Carrie Pirmann, Bucknell University
  • Aliya Reich, CLIR

Current Activities

The committee is currently planning for the 2023 in-person conference.

Previous Activity

2022

In 2022, the Inclusivity at the Forum Subgroup accomplished the following:

  • Addressed COVID-19 resources and health concerns (regarding masks or vaccinations).
  • Updated the Accessible In-Person Presentations guidelines (2022).
  • Updated and created new guidelines for accessible events focused on the venue (please see 2019-2021 activity).
  • Serving in intentional “connector” roles to our many other Forum planning groups.
  • Explored ways to make material accessible beyond the Open Science Framework (OSF) repository for people who weren’t able to attend.
  • Revisited the social events checklist.
  • Investigated services for live closed-captioning at DLF plenary sessions.

2019-2021

From 2019-2021, the "Inclusivity at the DLF Forum" Subgroup worked on the following items:

2016-2018

From 2016-2018, the Inclusivity at the Forum Subgroup accomplished the following:

  • Expanded and updated DLF’s Code of Conduct.
  • Reviewed the conference registration form to ensure that registrants have the opportunity to provide us with accommodation requests, preferred pronouns, dietary restrictions, etc.
  • Served in intentional “connector” roles to our many other Forum planning groups (such as the social and local planning committees and the program and sponsorship committees), to ensure that the spirit of inclusivity touches every aspect of Forum planning.
  • Designated and publicized a quiet room, nursing room, gender-neutral restrooms, and other features at the Forum venue.
  • Helped to arrange DLF Forum childcare services.
  • Set up and publicized community note-taking docs, compiling important accessibility tips for people creating slide decks, and promoting sharing of conference materials through DLF’s OSF for Meetings account.
  • Facilitated ride-share and room-share connections via a public exchange, to help make the Forum more economically accessible.
  • Served as a helpful sounding-board for DLF staff who are working to organize the Forum.

Back to main CEI page.