We strive to make DLF events and initiatives as welcoming and accessible as possible. Since the 2016 DLF Forum, our Forum Planning Committees have included a sub-committee on inclusivity issues. The work of the Inclusivity Committee has been so important to us, and has made a significant impact to the experiences of our attendees. To provide guidance for DLF staff and for the community year-round, we are creating a new, standing DLF Committee for Equity and Inclusion.
DLF and and , , and for and year-round, a , for and .
"new year" for CEI is centered around the Forum, but the group does function year-round. Plans for the Inclusivity at the Forum typically form around March and April.
The CEI is around the Forum, the . the the .
Our 2016-2018 Forum Inclusivity Committees were made up of volunteers who have thoughtfully and collaboratively implemented initiatives, including:
* Expanding and updating DLF’s [https:// www. youtube.com/ watch? v= eoj5GRxz- QU&t=66s Code of Conduct]
[https://..com/?=-] . in the the , docs-to the the
* Reviewing the conference registration form to ensure that registrants have the opportunity to provide us with accommodation requests, preferred pronouns, dietary restrictions, etc.
* Serving in intentional “connector” roles to our many other Forum planning groups (from the social and local planning committees to the program and sponsorship committees), to ensure that the spirit of inclusivity touches every aspect of Forum planning
* Designating and publicizing a quiet room, nursing room, gender-neutral restrooms, and other features at the Forum venue
* Helping to arrange DLF Forum childcare services
* Setting up and publicizing community note-taking docs , compiling important accessibility tips for people creating slide decks, and promoting sharing of conference materials through DLF’s OSF for Meetings account
* Facilitating ride- share and room-share connections via a public exchange, to help make the Forum more economically accessible
* Serving as a helpful sounding-board for DLF staff who are working to organize the Forum, and assisting with other projects, large and small
Join the Standing Committee ==
The year-round DLF Committee for Equity and Inclusion aims to build and support more inclusive, diverse, and equitable communities of practice. We envision this to be a lightweight group that advises DLF staff, shares expertise and resources, and collaborates with annual Forum “Community” committees to ensure that a spirit of inclusivity permeates the work those groups do in supporting on-site Forum programming. Do you have an article to recommend? Tips on organizing inclusive in-person or remote events? We hope to utilize the expertise of this group when planning the DLF Forum and DLFx events, but also to serve as a framework for community members to ask questions and offer advice.
Interested in volunteering for the standing committee ? Please join our [https://groups. google.com/forum/?hl=en#!forum/dlf-committee -for-equity-and-inclusion Google Group] and
the committee .
check our continuously updated [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hXmj-CNMdXdJM_axRr1U8xEsxylQeOeYYmNkMBIFETI/edit?usp=sharing agenda document] for future meeting details.
== Subgroups ==
There are currently subgroups within the committee:
There are currently
five subgroups within the committee:
# [[Advocacy, Recruitment, + Leadership Programming Subgroup]]
# [[ Bystander Training Subgroup]]
# [[GLAM Inclusivity Survey Subgroup]]
# [[Inclusivity at the DLF Forum Subgroup ]]
# [[Reading / Resource List Subgroup]]
'''2019 Activities & Goals'''
Forum Community Committee Subgroup: to advise on inclusivity initiatives for the DLF Forum as part of the Community Committee
Forum Bystander Training Subgroup: to develop bystander training for Forum attendees
Readings & Resources Subgroup: to compile a list of readings & resources on DEI for community use
Advocacy Subgroup: to plan programming around advocating for equity & inclusion initiatives, recruitment, & leadership within your organization
+ other collaborations with DLF staff throughout the year.
'''2020 Activities & Goals'''
== Call Information and Agenda ==
Monthly call information + agendas can be found [https:// docs. google.com/ document/ d/ 1rdvGTZZBWZ0_agbS6CDoCrgkie5zOJgusjZQhn8unuc/ here] .
The DLF Committee for Equity and Inclusion (CEI) aims to build and support more inclusive, diverse, and equitable practices for galleries, libraries, archives, and museums (GLAM) organizations. The CEI meets year-round, with its work divided between providing support for DLF Events and serving as a community of practice. We aim to create a space where community members can share expertise, develop frameworks for inclusive practices, and produce knowledge and documentation to be made openly available.
The CEI is composed of both standing sub-groups [hyperlink section below] and short-term project groups. Standing sub-groups focus on broader diversity issues within GLAM. Project groups respond to the immediate needs of the forum or to meet more exigent requests from the community (webinars, toolkits, or other resources). The main efforts of the CEI are typically scheduled around the Forum, with work concentrated in the spring through fall (with Forum taking place in the fall). New member orientation and project planning typically takes place during the rest of the year.
Means of Communication
We use a Google Group and an annual running agenda document for organizing meeting details. Our meetings are held on Zoom. Monthly call information + agendas are in the Google Drive. To suggest new resources for the Reading Resource List, use this feedback form. For suggested edits to the wiki, email the google group.
The work of the committee is overseen by multiple co-chairs.
- Jasmine Clark (awesome overlord of the committee)
- Lisa Schiff
- Neel Agrawal
- Debbie Krahmer
There are currently six subgroups within the committee:
- Advocacy, Recruitment, & Leadership Programming Subgroup (to plan programming around advocating for equity & inclusion initiatives, recruitment, & leadership within your organization)
- GLAM DEI Subgroup
- GLAM Inclusivity Survey Subgroup (meets as needed for surveys)
- Inclusivity at the DLF Forum Subgroup (to advise on inclusivity initiatives for the DLF Forum as part of the Community Committee)
- Bystander Training Subgroup
- Creating Accessible Presentations
- Setting Expectations
- Tech Advisory
- Reading / Resource List Subgroup (to compile a list of readings & resources on DEI for community use)
- Wiki Subgroup (updating and organizing the Wiki)
- Wiki Documentation Guidelines
As an initiative-based working group, you can choose your level of activity by volunteering.
If you want to follow or join the main CEI group, please join the Google Group. You are encouraged to attend the monthly meetings.
If you want to join a subgroup, please contact their respective chairs [emails linked above].
For specific CEI activities, please visit the Subgroup pages (linked above).