- 1 DLF Assessment Interest Group: Metadata Working Group
- 1.1 Broad Aims + Description of the Metadata Assessment Group within DLF AIG
- 1.2 Metadata WG Scope & Aims in 2016
- 1.3 Ongoing Metadata Assessment Working Group Communication
- 1.4 General Group Timeframe
- 1.5 Meetings
DLF Assessment Interest Group: Metadata Working Group
(Metadata Assessment Working Group)
Broad Aims + Description of the Metadata Assessment Group within DLF AIG
This group is open to anyone who is interested in taking part. There are no minimum or membership requirements, though we hope you’ll take as active a part as you’re able and willing.
The Metadata Assessment Working Group aims to build guidelines, best practices, tools and workflows around the evaluation and assessment of metadata used by and for digital libraries and repositories. The group hopes to offer deliverables and recommendations that digital library and repository users can implement for metadata assessment and metadata quality control.
This group should not focus on prescriptive recommendations for metadata (using one schema versus another, or comparisons of controlled vocabularies, etc.), but rather how (both functionally and to what metrics) to measure, evaluate and assess the metadata as it exists in a variety of digital library systems. Future work could lend itself to then using that assessment work to decide a pathway for metadata enhancement. This framing is very much influenced by the flurry of interest, activity and discussion around metadata assessment that occurred just after DPLAfest 2015.
Metadata WG Scope & Aims in 2016
The goals, aims, and deliverables of the Metadata Working Group were decided in the kick off meeting by participants. Broadly, we aim to:
- Work collaboratively on a white paper that will be an aggregate of a number of areas of work...
- the first being a literature (and tools) review of metadata assessment work so far (current focus of our work) - http://bit.ly/MetadataAssessDraft
- then further clarifying for our work metadata assessment metrics and definitions
- then building out a metadata assessment rubric
- as well as capturing metadata assessment use cases.
See more about the group's goals and discussion on them at http://bit.ly/metadataAssessment
Ongoing Metadata Assessment Working Group Communication
The Metadata Working Group will primarily communicate through the DLF AIG Metadata Working Group Google Group.
We have a WG call every 2 weeks on Friday, 1 PM Eastern. The call information (including dates and Webex links) can be found below.
We will also have a gathering at the 2016 DLF Forum (attendance to this in person meeting is not required for folks to be involved in this group).
All the work is being done in this Google Drive space: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B74oOQcTdnHjWk51a283bUVta0E&usp=sharing
This Wikipage will be used to shared decided information - meeting times, decided deliverables and goals, etc.
General Group Timeframe
- December 2015: Call for all people interested in participating in this group.
- December 2015 - Mid January 2016: All interested participants should join the Google Group to then be invited to edit shared documentation (Google documents, like this document) bringing together existing metadata assessment tools, work, resources, use cases, methods, etc.
- 29 January 2016, 1 PM EST: The first virtual meeting of the group, through Webex (information at top of this document). At this first meeting, more specific goals will be decided.
- February 2016 - April 2016: Work on the literature + tools review of the white paper/toolkit.
- May 2016 - November 2016 (DLF 2016): The group will hold regular virtual meetings (the frequency of which will be decided at the first call) for working towards the second round of metadata assessment goals and deliverables.
- November 2016: Meeting at DLF 2016 in Milwaukee (attendance not required to be a part of this group!), as well as next round of planning for metadata assessment meetings and deliverables.
Every 2 weeks on Friday, from Friday, February 12, 2016, to Friday, April 22, 2016
1:00 pm | Eastern Standard Time (New York, GMT-05:00) | 1 hr
Join WebEx meeting via Web: https://cornell.webex.com/cornell/j.php?MTID=macf5814bac36ed884aa1d2ea5d851fa6 Meeting number: 645 110 123 Meeting password: Metadata1
Join by phone: 1-855-244-8681 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada) 1-650-479-3207 Call-in toll number (US/Canada) Access code: 645 110 123
Agenda Working on the Metadata Assessment Literature and Tools Review portion of the white paper and toolkit. More specific information will be announced on the Google Group.
2016-01-29 - Kick Off Meeting
Friday, January 29, 2016 1:00 pm | Eastern Standard Time (New York, GMT-05:00) | 1 hr
Join via Web: https://cornell.webex.com/cornell/j.php?MTID=m40e1e156337960930736db62afbf4091 Webex Meeting number: 649 329 292 Meeting password: Metadata1
Join by phone: 1-855-244-8681 Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada) 1-650-479-3207 Call-in toll number (US/Canada) Access code: 649 329 292
Agenda - Built off of this document: http://bit.ly/metadataAssessment
- Review of preliminary/broad aims of this group within the context of DLF Assessment Interest Group
- What is DLF Assessment Interest Group
- Who can join/when/for what amount of work/etc.
- Broad timeframe
- Briefly, interest in this group/any deliverables you hope for
- Scope & Deliverables of this Group for 2016
- Definitions of terms used
- Based off discussion in the Google doc (http://bit.ly/metadataAssessment) and the introductions
- Decide on top 2 to tackle, what deliverables need to come from that
- Working space going forward
- Regular meetings - decide on frequency
- Questions, outstanding items