DLF Assessment Interest Group: Metadata Working Group
(Metadata Assessment Working Group)
This group is open to anyone who is interested in taking part. There are no minimum or membership requirements, though we hope you’ll take as active a part as you’re able and willing.
The Metadata Assessment Working Group aims to build guidelines, best practices, tools and workflows around the evaluation and assessment of metadata used by and for digital libraries and repositories. The group hopes to offer deliverables and recommendations that digital library and repository users can implement for metadata assessment and metadata quality control.
This group should not focus on prescriptive recommendations for metadata (using one schema versus another, or comparisons of controlled vocabularies, etc.), but rather how (both functionally and to what metrics) to measure, evaluate and assess the metadata as it exists in a variety of digital library systems. Future work could lend itself to then using that assessment work to decide a pathway for metadata enhancement.
We set directions, deliverables, and goals for 2018 at the 2018 kick-off meeting in January 2018. You can see more about the group's goals and discussion for 2018 at 
The goals for 2018, set in our kick-off meeting, include:
- Restructure and document the MWG website
- Review and revise the Metadata Analysis Workshop
- Work towards creating a metadata analysis tools repository
- Begin discussion on creating general benchmarks for metadata quality. This area of work may include gathering tools and methods for measurement of metadata quality, defining benchmarks, and establishing a platform for topic discussion
We set directions, deliverables, and goals for 2017 at the 2017 kick-off meeting in January 2017. You can see more about the group's goals and discussion for 2017 at 
The goals for 2017, set in our kick-off meeting, included:
- Update structure of the Github site created for last year’s Environmental Scan to support expansion and ongoing work including creating mechanism for people to submit updates & feedback.
- Review and expand list of metadata assessment tools gathered as part of the Environmental Scan. Begin testing tools gathered as part of the Environmental Scan in order to eventually create a repository for metadata assessment tools
- Create a Metadata Application Profile Clearinghouse that can be used as a community repository for application profiles, mappings and guidelines for metadata.
- Create a general framework document on how to assess metadata that can be used for the galleries, libraries, archives & museums (GLAM) community.
- Collaborate with other institutions on metadata assessment and analysis workshop work.
- An updated site with new sections for the Metadata Assessment Framework, last year's Environmental Scan, the expanded Metadata Assessment Tools work and the Metadata Application Clearinghouse.
- A Github repository with materials from the Metadata Analysis workshop taught at DLF Forum
The 2016 goals, aims, and deliverables of the Metadata Assessment Working Group were decided in the 2016 kickoff meeting by participants. Goals included:
- setting up and testing the Metadata Assessment Working Group infrastructure & logistics;
- pulling together resources and ideas for definitions & metrics for metadata assessment, as well as beginning to uncover how one would perform this assessment;
- generating use cases for metadata assessment functionalities;
- uncovering tools that exist for metadata assessment, including how to use and understand the results
- 2016 metadata assessment, evaluation and ‘quality’ environmental scan;
- Use cases and scenarios illustrating metadata assessment practices & needs;
- Rubric & metrics for performing mostly digital collections, mostly descriptive metadata assessment (in progress);
- Working documents (Google Drive);
- GitHub infrastructure / organization
The Metadata Working Group will primarily communicate through the DLF AIG Metadata Working Group Google Group.
We have a WG call every 2 weeks on Thursdays at 11 AM EST. The call information (including dates and Webex links) can be found below.
You can also join the Assessment Interest Group Slack workspace. There is a channel for the Metadata Interest Group where you can post any questions you may have.
This wiki page will be used to shared static information - meeting times, decided deliverables and goals for the year, etc.
Metadata Working Group Meetings
We have working meetings every 2 weeks from January through March and September through October. Our meetings are held monthly from April - August. The meetings will take place on Thursdays at 1 PM Eastern/10 AM Pacific. Agendas go out to the Google Group beforehand and the meeting schedule for 2019 is listed below.
Upcoming Meetings Schedule
- Thursday April 11, 2019, 1 pm Eastern / 12 pm Central / 11 am Mountain / 10 am Pacific
- Thursday May 9, 2019, 1 pm Eastern / 12 pm Central / 11 am Mountain / 10 am Pacific
- Thursday June 13, 2019, 1 pm Eastern / 12 pm Central / 11 am Mountain / 10 am Pacific
- Thursday July 11, 2019, 1 pm Eastern / 12 pm Central / 11 am Mountain / 10 am Pacific
- Thursday August 8, 2019, 1 pm Eastern / 12 pm Central / 11 am Mountain / 10 am Pacific
- Thursday September 12, 2019, 1 pm Eastern / 12 pm Central / 11 am Mountain / 10 am Pacific
- Thursday September 26, 2019, 1 pm Eastern / 12 pm Central / 11 am Mountain / 10 am Pacific
- Thursday October 10, 2019, 1 pm Eastern / 12 pm Central / 11 am Mountain / 10 am Pacific
Call (Zoom) Information
Join Zoom Meeting https://clirdlf.zoom.us/j/817765026
One tap mobile +16468769923,,817765026# US (New York) +14086380968,,817765026# US (San Jose)
Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York) +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 817 765 026 Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aBe6QTHBH
See the notes and agenda portion of our Team Google Drive folder.